Thursday 28 August 2014

I have not had an alcoholic drink for 8 months


Bavaria Wit Beer 0.0%
“All the calories, none of the fun!”
I’m kinda over it now. If my attempt to stay dry were a mid-Atlantic row, this is the bit where I would be struggling with various existential crises. 
I’ve done the hard part. I’ve got past half way. I’m already thinking about what’s going to happen when I get to the end, but first I’ve just got to get through… this.

And what is this, exactly? What am I trying to prove? What am I not trying to prove? Do I care? Does it matter?

All these questions I will answer in another blog post, because right now I want to talk about the joys of alcohol-free beer. 
Nick Wallis
Photo: A. Wallis
I do not wish to denigrate the service alcohol-free beer provides. When I was on holiday in France, it was nice to be able to return to our villa after a hot day, open the fridge and pop the lid on an ice-cold alcohol-free beer. 

If it were real beer the first would be followed by the second in pretty short order, then perhaps a third or a fourth. But it wasn't and so it didn't. That is what is missing from alcohol-free beer. It's not very moreish.

In fact, I bought twelve "Bavaria" alcohol-free wit (wheat) beers (pictured above) on the second day of our one week holiday. By the end of the week I had three left. I gave them to my brother-in-law who was driving his lot to England whilst we flew. I saw him the other day and he returned two of the three bottles to me unopened. He didn't really like Bavaria Wit 0.0%, and as he is not Not Drinking for a year, didn't see the point.

I don't think I'll be buying any more alcohol-free beer, just as I won't be having a go at any more alcohol-free wines. Back to the water, and the diet coke, and the endless rowing, rowing, rowing...

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I did no alcohol for 6 months to just kind of detox and I was really pleased with the outcome. I lost about 15 pounds and I had so much more energy. I think the main problem was bad eating habits when I was drunk or even the next morning. A hangover diet usually is not that terribly healthy.

    Joanne Krueger @ Kurtz And Blum

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, alcoholic drink is bad for our body, because when we take this drink then we are suffering from hangover problem. But if we use Anti Hangover Drink before party we get best result.

    ReplyDelete